Congregation Ahavas Achim, ---Youth Director Job Description
Position: Youth Director(s)**
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Start date: August 2017
Operational Supervisor: Youth Department Chair
General Supervisor: Rabbi
** NOTE: The position can be filled by an individual taking on the full responsibilities or a couple sharing them.
Congregation Ahavas Achim in Highlaind Park, NJ is seeking a Youth Director for the upcoming year. The Youth Director will cultivate a strong youth culture within the synagogue by developing and implementing activities incorporating religious, educational, and social programming. A balanced calendar of such activities will be planned and implemented, integrated with the synagogues’ program calendar. The director will also focus on leadership training and drive a sense of community for the youth of the shul.
Roles and responsibilities:
Be a Role Model for the synagogue’s youth
- Be a knowledgeable Orthodox Jew
- Adhere to and support standards of religious behavior, as expected of youth participants and youth program staff
- Be ethical
- Be accessible to the youth of Ahavas Achim ; Develop positive relationships with Ahavas Achim youth program participants
- Attend Shabbat and holiday services regularly. (The Youth Director is expected to be present on most Shabbatot and Yom Tovim. Occasional absences must be approved in advance and it is expected that arrangements be made for a substitute. )
Lead the AA Youth / Teen Minyan
- Prepare for youth / teen minyan on Shabbat and Yom Tov by coordinating the assignment of davening and layning and ensuring gabbai’ing are prepared. (The Youth Minyan Leader needs to be prepared to daven or layn if teens are not available or appropriately prepared)
- Work with the members of the youth / teen minyan to expand their capacity to daven and layn. Encourage growth of the individuals and the minyan overall.
- Provide guidance during youth / teen minyan as needed. Maintain order, keep the children engaged and generally ensure the appropriate decorum.
- Organize Teen Kiddush, including shopping for supplies if needed, ordering for special Kiddush sponsorships, set up and clean up
** Note that any questions about religious procedures must be directed to the Rabbi. Any changes in minyan proceedings must be approved by the Rabbi.
Plan all youth activities
- Ensure the success of Shabbat / Yom Tov morning groups, working with the Youth Group Manager*
- Determine a curriculum for each group based on age/grade level, including davening, entertaining activities, incentives.
- Hire, oversee, evaluate, mentor and train student leaders of groups. Maintain attendance records and coordinate payment.
- Purchase supplies. Set up and clean up group rooms.
- Plan and run approximately one non-Shabbat activity per age group per month.
- Plan Purim program and pre-Pesach program
- Maintain a budget for youth programming, with frequent progress checks. Ensure that most regular programming is self-supporting
- Ensure that safety is observed in all youth programming and events
- Maintain attendance records for all youth programming, tracking attendance trends and evaluating success of programming.
* The Youth Group Manager will directly supervise group leaders and groups on Shabbat and Yom Tov mornings during Youth Minyan, and otherwise assist in supervision and oversight of youth programs.
- Publicize youth group schedule in bulletin and on bulletin boards
- Create visually interesting and professional fliers
- Manage all youth mailings and publicity.
- Give proper notice to parents prior to each youth event (3 – 4 weeks) and an overview calendar.
- Place information in AA and other shul bulletins.
- Address all questions and concerns of parents.
- Clear plans with and report to youth committee on a regular basis.
- Relevant experience in youth programming and/or youth education
- Proven ability to lead and inspire children, as well as to develop positive relationships with youth and adults alike
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to manage and adhere to a program budget; experience with fundraising a plus